Sunday, April 12, 2015

Big News

You Guys! As of Friday, April 10, I now have a READER!

It was something that  took me by surprise as I didn't think Amita was ready. I've been going through letters and activities, as well as occasionally doing a lesson in Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. On Friday I took the book out and was doing some lessons with her. I turned to Ashima for a second and when I looked back, Amita had moved on to the next lesson by herself and read the word "am"!! 




I was really surprised and we all celebrated. Later in the day, while she was napping, I got to thinking about how she knew all of her other letter sounds. If she could do "am", could she do "at"? And, if she could do "at", could she do cat, hat, mat, sat, etc.? I made some cards up, explained the process of sounding out words, and she proceeded to to read all of the cards!!! It took a bit of work to get her to say the words fast enough to make sense of what the word was, but it only took about 10 minutes, and she was reading!
We hung up all the words she can read. 

It was pretty unexpected but she really took to it. She keeps sounding out everything now and is really wanting to be able to read even more. I'm going to have to do some research on where to go from here. 


Ridhwi was able to come home early from work that day and we took her out for dinner and bought her a special necklace (she's been wanting one) to celebrate. 

She picked this necklace. She is so proud, and so are we!


Wow, just wow. She really amazed me. My baby is a reader!


No comments:

Post a Comment