Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Support- A Homeschooling Necessity

One thing I have discovered about homeschooling is that support groups are very important! I am pleased to say that I have already joined some in the areas in which we will be moving. Support groups have many functions: they can really help break down the state laws, provide assistance on any number of questions: what curriculum they use, what their day looks like, what services are available in the area, things have have worked/didn't work for them, etc. They can also tell you about local homeschool activities in the area. Many of these support groups are in the form of co-ops, though some are not. Here is a list of the groups I have joined and found to be helpful:



  • Central Wisconsin Homeschoolers. This is a Facebook group that has helped me to find local co-ops in Stevens Point and Wisconsin Rapids, both Christian and secular. 
  • Doctor Families that Homeschool. This is a Facebook group of like-minded people who are in a similar situation to my own. They have provided some great starting points of where to look for curriculum and links/book ideas for research. 
  • Lives of Doctor Wives. This is a Facebook group that does not specifically deal with homeschooling but has a lot of like-minded women that are homeschooling and have AWESOME ideas for activities with kiddos.
  • Stevens Point co-ops. From what I understand (so far) there are three Christian and one secular co-op. I have joined some of their emailing lists and have plans to meet with two people already once we move. I have also seen some of the activities they have available and am really excited for the kids. There are field trips, group outings, PE classes, and some classes for the kids. 
  • Wisconsin Rapids. From what I understand (so far) there is one Christian co-op in WI Rapids. I have been in contact with them and plan to check them out further once we move!
  • Secular Homeschool Curriculum. This a Facebook group that reviews and gives recommendations for secular homeschool curricula. Since that's what I'll be using I'm finding it really informative!

No comments:

Post a Comment